Header Image Source
Admin

February 17, 2009

Mourning the Dead


Today was one of grieving for a fellow co-worker. My co-worker's father passed away last Sunday and today they held what is called the Shiva in Jewish tradition. My co-worker is a good man and I believe that his father, even though I never met him, must have been also. He has a beautiful family and many loving friends, all that came to visit today. My heart goes how to him and his family as they deal with the loss of someone special.

I am not feeling well tonight so I will leave you with some information regarding the Shiva with a link to more in-depth information:

After the burial, the immediate mourners return to a home called the "shiva house," to begin a seven day period of intense mourning. Shiva is from the word sheva, which means seven. This week is called "sitting shiva," and is an emotionally and spiritually healing time where the mourners sit low, dwell together, and friends and loved ones come to comfort them with short visits referred to as "shiva calls."
Read more about the Shiva stage in Jewish Mourning

Like this article? Have any questions or comments? Tell us what you're thinking by clicking on the "Comments" link below.

No comments:

Admin